Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Illustration Class Sketches


Graduate Illustration Class: take an overheard conversation and illustrate it.

Conversation #2 – My Burger Is Seeping

This conversation also took place at school, on a different day in a different class. This took place in my cartooning class as the students were working on a cartoon illustration for a T-shirt design. A girl student is drawing a cartoon happy meal that has ben turned into zombies.

Girl: “Mr. Mac does this look right? I don’t know…”

Me: “Well, how do you want it to look?”

Girl: “I want it to look like a zombie, but I want it to look right.”

Me: “Well, the thing about zombies is they’re dead. It doesn’t really matter how they look as long as it looks cool.”

Girl: “So make it my way?”

Me: “Make it your way.”

Girl draws more.

Girl: “Hey, look!” Shows it to other kids. “My burger is seeping.”




Conversation #3 – Coffee Light Bulbs

A young lady at Starbucks is mopping the floor with determination at the starbucks. She cleans counters and straightens items quickly. A Young man watches her while doing some other cleaning himself.

Young Man: “Alright! We got power mopper!”

Young Lady: “I just feel so bad because this place was looking so fresh!”

She serves a drink, puts mop away. “Okay. I’m going to go see if I can figure out how to look at that light bulb.”



Conversation #1 – You Should Make a Chupacabra

The conversation was overheard in my art class at the school I teach from a a group of 5 girls working on a wire essence sculpture of an animal.

Girl 1: “What are you making?”

Girl 2 (Not the one sculpting): “It’s a meerkat.”

Girl 3 (Still not the one sculpting): “It looks like a Chupacabra!”

Girl 4 (The one sculpting): “Yeah! Heh-heh!”

Girl 5: “You should make one!”

Girl 1: “You should totally make a Chupacabra!”

Girl 4: (The one sculpting): “Oh, yeah! That’d be cool!”

Girl 3: “Yeah!”

Girl 4: (The one sculpting) “Heh! I should totally make a Chupacabra!”

Girl 3: “Wait, do you even know what that is?”

No comments: